Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Everything is going to be all right."

It isn't some crazy notion lacking contact with life's
circumstances.

At the end of the day, it is a real and
powerful assessment of the significance of our silly
troubles (big, small and in-between) in the larger
scheme of things.

Negativity and despair can easily become a lifestyle.

When my thinking is devoid of hope, the defeatist
attitude becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Today, I will tell myself that
"Everything will be all right."

Even if I don't believe it, I will tell myself this.

Even if my surroundings and 'evidence' seem
to run contrary to it, I will repeat the mantra.

Even when my supposedly flawless deductive
reasoning tries to convince me of the pointlessness
of it, reminding me of how history has shown the
opposite to be true.

If you go looking for trouble, you're awfully
likely to find it.

If I expect the worst of people and relive hurts,
if I constantly go through a laundry list of worries
and resentments, the end results will reflect that.
Emotions are energy, and energy is powerful.

Many of us have acquired sick thinking and kept
it going through our own devices and choices.
Life can be whatever we make of it.

We are often times worriers, fretters, catastrophizers,
cynics, nay-sayers, trouble-seekers, and critics.
This has not served us well. In fact, perhaps it has
fueled the very fire we sought relief from.

Does "Everything's going to be all right." seem
ridiculous and insincere and insane to me?
How much more insane to think the worst and
complain incessantly for years when there were good
things happening too.

If I cease comparing my rewards to those of others,
if I cease dwelling on and naming my misfortunes,
if I ignore the drama of other people's unrelated
issues and problems; what do I have left?

(Reminding myself that nothing has been promised
to anyone in terms of success, glamor, money, or love.
Every bit that does occur is pure gravy.

What I focus on and believe brings new business into my life.
I can't make a hasty under-the-breath pseudo pledge, then
open my eyes and expect it to appear. It isn't magic.
It takes work.

It took work to wear down a negative groove of expecting
nothing good, and countering these dark thoughts and apathy
will also take some time.

But in the meantime, just for today, assume it were possibly
true; "Everything's going to be all right."
You might surprise yourself.

*****************************************************

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us
are looking at the stars."
- Oscar Wilde


"You can be happy or you can be miserable;
the amount of effort is about the same."
- John Bradshaw


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
- John Lubbock

"We will always tend to fulfill our own expectation of ourselves."
- Brian Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment