Sunday, September 12, 2010

Expectations Vs. Demands

Y'know, whenever something makes me really uncomfortable, it's generally
because I need to hear it but don't want to. This reading from last Sunday's
(Valentine's Day) Daily Reflections has been recirculating continuously.
I'm aware, I'm striving for openness, but my heart is resistant to change.
I'm going to keep reading this one every day.

Maybe someone else can relate, too.

**********************************************************************



EXPECTATIONS vs. DEMANDS

Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 98

Dealing with expectations is a frequent topic at meetings. It isn’t wrong to expect progress of myself, good things from life, or decent treatment from others. Where I get into trouble is when my expectations become demands. I will fall short of what I wish to be and situations will go in ways I do not like, because people will let me down sometimes. The only question is: “What am I going to about it?” Wallow in self-pity or anger; retaliate and make a bad situation worse; or will I trust in God’s power to bring blessings on the messes in which I find myself? Will I ask Him what I should be learning; do I keep on doing the right things I know how to do, no matter what; do I take the time to share my faith and blessings with others?

No comments:

Post a Comment